Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

#Challenge #34: For Science!

PlutoniumRooster
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Re: #Challenge #34: For Science!

Post by PlutoniumRooster » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:55 am

Image

First time using Phillipe as a captain, made a few mistakes and had a few unlucky rolls but a nice run regardless!

I think 11k+ is going to be Anna-tier this week though. Maybe I'll give Earl a try still, but it's going to be tough. :S

User avatar
Liort
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: #Challenge #34: For Science!

Post by Liort » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:53 pm

Liort wrote:I'm planning to go Phillipe/Maria/Kwame, going for secret report build - Phillipe's trait should help with the sometimes low science from Hungarian allowing for an easy psych into anthro.
20160722020951_1.jpg
Well, that worked better than anticipated.

PlutoniumRooster
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Re: #Challenge #34: For Science!

Post by PlutoniumRooster » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:39 pm

PlutoniumRooster wrote: I think 11k+ is going to be Anna-tier this week though.
Liort wrote: Well, that worked better than anticipated.
Way to make me look silly, thanks. >:(

In all seriousness, that's a very nice score considering you only have one Secret Report now, and can't stack the skill check tokens as easily. Shangri'la's a lot better now then?

User avatar
Liort
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: #Challenge #34: For Science!

Post by Liort » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:44 pm

PlutoniumRooster wrote:
PlutoniumRooster wrote: I think 11k+ is going to be Anna-tier this week though.
Liort wrote: Well, that worked better than anticipated.
Way to make me look silly, thanks. >:(
Sorry :-(
PlutoniumRooster wrote: In all seriousness, that's a very nice score considering you only have one Secret Report now, and can't stack the skill check tokens as easily. Shangri'la's a lot better now then?
Yeah, Shangri-la is a lot better now. I did get quite lucky with it though - I spawned right next to the new treasure and the keys were close by, so I could afford to burn all my supplies exploring. Now there's no forced skipping, it's a lot easier to go around with Anthropolgy: you can find my result here.

Edit: Replaced with screencap so you don't have to watch a video for it

kcyw
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:54 am

Re: #Challenge #34: For Science!

Post by kcyw » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:58 am

Liort wrote:
Liort wrote:I'm planning to go Phillipe/Maria/Kwame, going for secret report build - Phillipe's trait should help with the sometimes low science from Hungarian allowing for an easy psych into anthro.
20160722020951_1.jpg
Well, that worked better than anticipated.
Wow, that's impossible! Is there any challenge left for you in this game? :)) I thought the specialist nerfs would really cut scores but it seems to have no effect on the experts? XD

User avatar
Liort
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: #Challenge #34: For Science!

Post by Liort » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:16 pm

kcyw wrote: Wow, that's impossible! Is there any challenge left for you in this game? :)) I thought the specialist nerfs would really cut scores but it seems to have no effect on the experts? XD
I did feel the nerf on entourage - my wheel spins were nowhere near as rewarding as they used to be (normally I'd be getting double digits of a token type on my 5th expedition, not so easily to do now.) It didn't affect the score too much here but that's because it's based around secrets (rest in peace having 2 x Secret Report.)

As for impossible, well Maria is amazing on it *if* you have a means to keep her alive. Paired with Kwame's dance she's fairly tanky, and if you put Phillipe's tranq shot on a target first her damage is insane. Kwame/Maria is a pairing that I use most of the time when playing impossible (sometimes swap Maria for Yvonne if I don't have a good support character for my third.)

adambomb
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:03 am

Re: #Challenge #34: For Science!

Post by adambomb » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:39 am

Figured I'd follow in Liort's footsteps and see how I fared....ended up going fairly well! Highlands didn't work out all that great for me unfortunately but otherwise was a decent run.

Wasn't on Impossible and didn't score platinum but happy with the score anyway, and was fun as I'd never played a Secret-focused run before.
Attachments
Challenge34_Phillipe_v02.png

User avatar
Liort
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: #Challenge #34: For Science!

Post by Liort » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:02 am

adambomb wrote:Figured I'd follow in Liort's footsteps and see how I fared....ended up going fairly well! Highlands didn't work out all that great for me unfortunately but otherwise was a decent run.

Wasn't on Impossible and didn't score platinum but happy with the score anyway, and was fun as I'd never played a Secret-focused run before.
Great score! Shame the Highlands betrayed you, but other than that it's an impressive run. Secret runs can be very fun to use - I personally find it my favourite method of scoring.

kcyw
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:54 am

Re: #Challenge #34: For Science!

Post by kcyw » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:13 pm

double post deleted
Last edited by kcyw on Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kcyw
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:54 am

Re: #Challenge #34: For Science!

Post by kcyw » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Liort wrote: I did feel the nerf on entourage - my wheel spins were nowhere near as rewarding as they used to be (normally I'd be getting double digits of a token type on my 5th expedition, not so easily to do now.) It didn't affect the score too much here but that's because it's based around secrets (rest in peace having 2 x Secret Report.)

As for impossible, well Maria is amazing on it *if* you have a means to keep her alive. Paired with Kwame's dance she's fairly tanky, and if you put Phillipe's tranq shot on a target first her damage is insane. Kwame/Maria is a pairing that I use most of the time when playing impossible (sometimes swap Maria for Yvonne if I don't have a good support character for my third.)
Thanks for sharing. Didn't realize that team's strategy is based around Secrets. They always seem limited when I tried to get them in the past but it's satisfying when I got them because it's by passing challenges instead of automatic tag-along with treasures.

I noticed Maria is a bit too powerful for enemies on Classic but as you say the most difficult thing is trying to keep her alive. Kwame and Philippe are probably the two best team mates at doing that.

---

I got platinum too. :) 12200 with Anna, Kiwi and Molly. Couldn't have done it with any other captain (I am no good with Charles).

http://imgur.com/a/WL5sd

I lost the first attempt at Carribean, this was my second serious attempt (playing past the starter expedition).

All throughout very lucky with wheelspin, hardly failed any when it comes to treasures. Good run but I planned to get the Discovery token from llama man and he didn't appear. Met Pachacuti for the first time but he ran away. :D

My Study token became a general token with almost equal number in the 3 resources so I picked +60% renown for all 3 resources after Emerged Island. Gold ended up being the strongest by far (with +15 gold at Rio), would have been helpful if the game let me look at Rio before asking me to choose renown boost options.

Molly was my insight spender as planned but it nearly went wrong as I didn't get Anna's professor card until Emerged Island. Was able to make both Molly and Anna into level 6 Naturalist for +2 Study at Rio. Molly was level 3 Naturalist, level 3 Athlete and level 5 Engineer for insight spending at Timbuktu (with Will'o the Wisp). Got nearly 600 resource points per insight by the end so it worked out. Lucked out with the final card (Engineer one) returning from the discard pile to give me 20 Collect + 20 Study.

Lost Island is tough now even with all legendary gears. I got spooked after helplessly losing resolve and supplies and went for Darwin instead of Raptor Queen. Could have lost too, Kiwi and Anna were both one hit from knockout but AI went after Molly. My team became super mobile and ended up with movement of 4, 6, 6. It was fun to play.

Post Reply