Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Challenge #37: Go for Gold

Manuel

Challenge #37: Go for Gold

Post by Manuel » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:00 pm

This week's challenge is based on Lord Reliant's suggestion (Thanks, big help!) from here. It's inspired by the summer Olympics currently running. Of course the Olympics stand in the shadow of the Society's prestige, but Pinkerton thought it would be fun to help the Games with some PR.

The Story
“Thank you, Agatha, for that extensive dissertation on…” Chairman Pinkerton looked down at his notes to remind him of the official title,” the ‘Virtues of Military Formations and their Effects on Archeological Treasures in Medieval European Nations’.” Agatha smugly accepted the unenthusiastic applause as she stepped off the platform of the great hall in Renowned Explorers: International Society headquarters. “Ahem. Now, on to our next topic. Pedrinho Pinheiro would like to make an invitation.” Pinkerton stepped aside as the Brazilian man rushed forward quickly onto the stage, followed by Bia Hekaton.

“Hey, how’s everybody doing?” Pedrinho called to the crowd of explorers, helping to wake them from their half-slumber. “I’d like to invite everyone to a new annual celebration. And what better way to do that, than with a PARTY!” Pedrinho reached behind his back to produce maracas and began shaking them with a broad smile.

“Bia and I were talking, and we think we should celebrate our diversity and do it in a way that promotes peace, friendship, and competition in the spirit of ancient traditions long ago. I’d like to invite one other explorer on an adventure with us as we tour the world. We plan to collect as much goodwill and gold as we can. Who’s with me?”

(story credit: Lord Reliant)

The Rules
- Your Captain is Pedrinho
- Crewmember #2 needs to be a natural Athlete*
- Crewmember #3 needs to be a natural Diplomat*
- You need to finish at least 3 expeditions with a Friendly reputation.
- Your score is only your Renown gained from Gold. This is shown by hovering your gold resource, make sure to include that in your Win screen screenshot.
*A natural for a perk is someone who can gain that perk by leveling.

- Play on Adventure Mode.
- Play on any Difficulty.
- Your game has to be played on Patch #18 or later

In the spirit of the Olympic Games only the top 3 entries (above 3000 Renown for gold), will classify for the Platinum medal.

The Goals
BRONZE: 1000 Renown from Gold (1 Medal Points*)
SILVER: 1500 Renown from Gold (2 MP*)
GOLD: 2500 Renown from Gold (3 MP*)
PLATINUM: (Top 3 only!) 3000 Renown from Gold**
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points, but we will track how many you have.

STORY MEDAL: Have the explorers heard of sportsmanship? How do they incorporate international cooperation in their organization and behaviour?

We're keeping track of all the medals you gained in the Hall of Fame.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
  • Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
  • Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
  • Link to it here with a comment.
  • Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post to show readers what your story is about.
Highscores
  • Play the game according to the challenge rules.
  • Post a screenshot of your Win screen (that is the screen right after the win ceremony) in this topic. Make sure you hover the Gold resource so that the tooltip is visible.
  • Submit by Wednesday, August 17th, 12:00 noon CEST / 05:00 CT. (Check your timezone here)

adambomb

Re: Challenge #37: Go for Gold

Post by adambomb » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:13 pm

How do we show that we finished at least 3 expeditions as friendly?

adambomb

Post by adambomb » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:10 pm

2896 - so close to the Platinum threshold! (Though I doubt 3000k would be one of the top 3)

Anyway was a fun challenge :) May try again for a better score but will be offline for vacation starting Sunday.

EDIT: Screengrab removed as I posted a higher score below
Last edited by adambomb on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Nice score, adambomb!

In answer to your question, I can see you have a level 3 Friendly reputation, which you only get for finishing at least 3 expeditions with a Friendly netto reputation. I could have written "Achieve a level 3 Friendly reputation", but not all players would now how to achieve that.

adambomb

Post by adambomb » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:30 am

Couldn't resist - had to do one more run. Turned out fairly well. In a sweet piece of irony, the one time I 'qualify' for a platinum is the one time I likely won't get one ;)

Having said that I am a fan of Platinum medals being a limited resource that are won, as opposed to earned for reaching a certain threshold. I agree only the highest of the high scores should earn them.
Attachments
37_Molly_Kwame.png

Worblehat

Post by Worblehat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:50 am

That turned out nicely, 3498 renown from gold, well over half of which came from Mali. I had a bit of a scare when the insight spending was still at the 2.25x multiplier, but apparently the +100% only takes effect once one starts the final expedition. And luckily the Star was there this time, Molly did not botch the 91% roll to get the mining tools, and the "+1 collect for each 2 collect thus far" option was available on the Star. I fully expected each of those steps to come up badly for me! :-) Even so, I think something needs to be done about Mali+Star being a faceroll-easy, super powerful final expedition for gold-focused runs... I don't have specific ideas on what exactly the solution might be though.
ch37.png
Looks like the Olympics run for another week, so will the next challenge be some sort of Bia status run, ancient Greek tradition instead of Brazilian gold? Maybe Bia + natural athlete + natural archaeologist?

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:15 pm

Thanks again for your entries here, results are up here.

And that's a nice suggestion, Worblehat, thanks for that.