Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Renowned Explorers

JInFi

Re: Renowned Explorers

Post by JInFi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:57 am

i can already sense a titan mode coming to this.... xD

on the note of partys, 3 questions:

1: are parties role-limited? i'm assuming not, but i'm just throwing this out there anyways.
in terms of this question, i'm not asking about the viability of not having, say, a tank or dps (or whatever the equivalent is), but rather simply a "you must have this, this and this if you want to continue" kind of thing.

2. will there be some sort of customization function to characters? or will their appearance/abilities/stats be set accordingly?

3. is a 1-man army strat viable? ie uber character? should be a challenge mode xD (yeah, that achievement is a bitch on Enemy within, the whole Strangle with an added Long war mod doesn't exactly do you favors for lone wolf)

yeah, for them XCOM fans reading this, if you haven't got Long War Mod, get it. you won't regret it(okay you will, but not because it's crap).

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks for the nice words! Allow me to answer your questions. :)

I still don't know exactly how the complexity will turn out, we have 4 main stats (HP, Will, Attack power, speaking power) and some side-stats (movement, resistances to certain attack types). As I said before, there are 3 physical attack types, and 3 speech types.There is also a VERY strong meta-game, where you have money and reputation per city. Stats/state wise, I think it's about 1.5x/2x the complexity of a game like X-COM:Enemy Unknown. The trick is that you can focus on a small subset of that complexity, and still do really well. (Like in Civilization or Europa Universalis) So all in all I would say the stat complexity is comparable with Reus, but with a better User Interface. :P

I have exactly the same irritations with speaking in games. It's precisely what we're trying to tackle. Instead of a random die roll and a hard fail/pass, in Renowned Explorers speaking works way more like fighting in TBSs. Allow me to give an example.

Kwame, a cheerful elder from Ghana with a lot of charisma (high Speaking Power), is a speaker type character. He can still hit things with his staff, but he is pretty weak (low Attack Power). Also, he is fragile (low HP) but has strong character (high Will). His preferred action in encounters is Befriending people. This damages the Will (to fight) of target based on Kwame's Speaking Power. This action also has a type: Bedazzling. (The other types an speaking action can have are Distressing and Enraging)

When Kwame encounters a strong big smuggler enemy (High HP, high Attack Power), you would immediately dismiss Kwame as weak in a normal TBS. But if you take a closer look at the big smuggler, you might see some interesting things about his character. First of all, his Will is relatively low, making it easier manipulate his mood than to stab him to death. Second, the enemy characters sometimes spawn with random buffs/debuffs. This big dude feels lonely, making him take double Will damage from Bedazzling actions (Like Kwame's Befriend). This way, Kwame could instantly reduce the enemy's Will to 0, instantly getting close with him and solving the problem with the power of friendship. :P

Note that all this is easily readable in the game. I'ts not a "pick one of the 3 and get lucky". You can create a team around certain actions or emotions. If you pick Kwame, you might also want to pick a friendly scout to accompany him. If two people try to Bedazzle someone, it goes faster than if only one tries to! There are many combinations possible because there is a lot of interaction between HP, Will and Emotion (which is the most prominent buff in the game).

You are used to fighting being abstracted to simple actions on a grid. We're simply introducing the same thing for speaking. :)

Regarding characters: Currently we're thinking about 3 to a max of 5 characters. The game is a bit less tactical on a positioning scale than you might be used to from Fire Emblem or the like. In exchange, the characters have much more depth and state, making crewmembers and enemies more interesting to interact with. Think of it as a a mix between tactical RPGs (Like Fire Emblem) and more state-like RPGs (Like Final Fantasy). You will have to use your environment or abilities more smartly to impede movement or lure enemies into actions. All characters have a fixed name, ability set, origin, dreams and ambition.

The voronoi is a tamed one: it still has random tiles, but distance is normalized. However, you are right that reading a voronoi is not as easy as a regular grid. We're working hard on making the feedback support the voronoi adequately.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:35 am

Yay more questions! :D
JInFi wrote:i can already sense a titan mode coming to this.... xD

on the note of partys, 3 questions:

1: are parties role-limited? i'm assuming not, but i'm just throwing this out there anyways.
in terms of this question, i'm not asking about the viability of not having, say, a tank or dps (or whatever the equivalent is), but rather simply a "you must have this, this and this if you want to continue" kind of thing.
Party roles are defined, but not limited. Actually, they become more open the more you improve in skill. All characters have at least 5 different abilities, and you can combo into pretty crazy stuff. Have the hot Maria make someone to fall in love with her, while Dolores the luchador launches a wrestling move on the flatfooted fool for double damage? Sure. Have the loud mouth scout Harry get under the enemy's skin so he will only target (and miss) him, while berserker Ivan get's pumped up from all the rage around him? Check. Combo an impressive thunderstorm from the scientist Anna with the intimidating swordplay of the myrmidon Bia, so all enemies will run away and cower in fear? Go do it! It really depends on which characters you choose, and how you choose to make them work with each other.
2. will there be some sort of customization function to characters? or will their appearance/abilities/stats be set accordingly?
You will be able to level them according to your strategy (making a choice between two choices each level), and you will be able to give them equipment. That's as far as I can promise right now. :P
3. is a 1-man army strat viable? ie uber character? should be a challenge mode xD (yeah, that achievement is a bitch on Enemy within, the whole Strangle with an added Long war mod doesn't exactly do you favors for lone wolf)
Nope, you will always have a crew at your disposal of at least 3. There are too many situations and different enemy types to solve with one crewmember anyway.

RyaReisender

Post by RyaReisender » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:04 pm

The talking system really sounds great. I like it!
It's basically a two-HP-stat system.
Star Ocean Till The End Of Time actually did something similar by making units die if their MP hit 0 and making attacks available that drain MP rather than HP. Of course that's a completely different genre but the basic idea is the same.

Also glad to hear that all characters will be unique and not randomly generated. :-)

I still stick to my opinion that just 3 characters in combat permanently is bad, though.
I noticed this in Avadon (RPG with TRPG battle system) where you could only take 3 party members (out of 5 total) with you compared to Avernum (same developer and gameplay) that allows for 4. It might not seem like it but there was a huge difference between 3 and 4 party member gameplay with 4-party-member-play being far more enjoyable.

It might be different with your game, but especially a game that has even more advanced strategies like the fight vs talk system, it seems to be that a larger party is necessary. For example say 3 party members means you could take two good fighters with you and one good talker. With just one talker, it's obviously that he always has to go for the ones with week will. There is no further strategy to that, there are no units that you can use to defend your talker from attacks, etc.
Of course I can only really give real feedback once I've played it. That's just me talking from experience.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Good point! I'll look further into it. :) We picked 3 first because it was already pretty much, but you're absolutely right on the flexibility. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Alplod

Post by Alplod » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Btw, Divinity - The Original Sin is a great and flexible western TRPG with only 4 characters in the team. That was a bit of surprise for me, since I grew up on Shining Force and Langrisser series, which have much and much more characters in the team, but 4 characters may do a trick also.

I believe in you, guys) And looking forward to more info)

Zakann

Post by Zakann » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:39 am

I really enjoy the game. I re-discover the complexity of symbiotic skills and effects, and achievements progress by treasures. It's a really good pleasure. Very nice game, again ;-)

JamesKel

Post by JamesKel » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:11 pm

It's second game??