Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

What we know so far about Renowned Explorers

Qustinnus

What we know so far about Renowned Explorers

Post by Qustinnus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:28 am

I just checked the page for Renowned Explorers and here are some of the features I have found so far:
-Turn based gameplay
-Treasure hunting
-Finding resources to help you (Crafting system?)
-Multiple paths, (Aggresive, passive etc)
-Reminds me a bit off Sid Meiers Pirates (Go check it out if you don't know it. It's a great game)
-Hire crew of skilled explorers and mix their expertises (This probably means the chars have + and - points and you have to balance your own crew out.
-Randomly generated worlds
-Game is set in 19th century
-Transportation = unknown, speculating either a hot air balloon or some kind of other flying device\
-Game will have levelling system with skillls for your crewmembers
-Special character traits: Special characters (like your captain) will have special skills and traits, for example ''Elvy Erikkson'' (Whenever she makes a discovery, she gets so excited and happy that her crew cannot help but perform better, and her enemies often lay down their weapons and give in to her smile.)
-Probably mayor plot behind the ''Mysterious rock formation''

These are just speculations on the things I saw, Some have better evidende than others.
Also please don't mind the bad spelling, I just woke up.

Edit: The presskit has given me some proven speculations:
-A large cast of explorers each with their own unique style, character and skill tree
-A new conversation system to be integrated with a more traditional turn-based combat system
-A museum to keep track of your global prestige, growing with every legendary treasure you find
-Random generation is used to fill every session with new mysteries, places and treasures
-A world based on popular and fantastic beliefs of the 19th century
-Many cultural capitals and exotic areas to restructure the treasure hint every game

and also gave me this: ''and a mighty ship to explore the blank spots on the 18th centurieth maps. ''
A mighty ship mmh? Well I'm assuming they're talkingabout a norma ship, otherwise it could be a flying ship.

Chest 1:

''The Renowned Explorers use various forms of transportation to reach even the most remote places on Earth. Ships are a favorite among many explorers, while some choose to travel by air or land. Even during travel you may bump into something interesting, or find a faster route to your destination. ''

Turgut Tahir: Recruits crew and ''Turgut Tahir is a Captain that recently joined our society. He has proven himself a proficient leader and excellent fighter. ''
Another special skill:'' Turgut is capable of pinning enemies in order to make sure his crew remains unharmed, ''

''Ms. Rodriguez is showing off her exceptional skill; calming down a band of agressive bandits with her silver tongue and impressive physical assets.''

Special skills are 80% confirmed to me.
Last edited by Qustinnus on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SharpKris

Re: What we know so far about Renowned Explorers

Post by SharpKris » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:09 pm

i'm getting a strong vibe of and adventure game here, The Banner Sage came to mind when i read the description, i dont suppose you're going to voice act the explorers because that's alot of work but i'm looking forward to your take on this genere

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:58 pm

SharpKris wrote:i'm getting a strong vibe of and adventure game here, The Banner Sage came to mind when i read the description, i dont suppose you're going to voice act the explorers because that's alot of work but i'm looking forward to your take on this genere
Turnbased RPG adventure, to be exact

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:21 pm

You seem to really like the idea of flying Qustinnus :D
I believe it will be Windwaker like about exploration, maybe there are some "secondary things" to discover like easter eggs and treasure (those would be great!)

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Touriste wrote:You seem to really like the idea of flying Qustinnus :D
I believe it will be Windwaker like about exploration, maybe there are some "secondary things" to discover like easter eggs and treasure (those would be great!)
Well 19th century, machines, why not steam flying ships, idk. Seems to attract the steampunk audience. :P

Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:33 pm

''while some choose to travel by air or land.''

Aiiiirrr
aaaaaaaaaaaaaairrrr
AAAAIRRR

JInFi

Post by JInFi » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:04 am

will be really interesting to see the execution and the core mechanics behind the game.

it sounds like a RPG alright, hence it'll need more depth than Reus to keep people hooked....

... which is also something we basically have no information about.

Maarten

Post by Maarten » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:49 am

Reminder: we're at gamescom in Cologne, Germany. If you're near: don't hesitate to drop by!

Kihasu

Post by Kihasu » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi,
I've talked to Manuel and played parts of the game on Gamescom. There are 3 layers to the game. I was able to play the lower 2.

the middle layer is like map with nodes on it. Moving from a node to another one takes a day. Each time you arrive at a node there will be an event. This is quite similar to Faster than light. Some event need you to "fight". On this map you try to find a treasure, which will determine your score and maybe yield some advantage to your group unlocking stuff or maybe buffing your group. There will be a feature like a "exhibition room" for all the trophies you found.

The fighting layer is the lowest one. You get a map that is divided into fields. Those fields have a random polygon shape. The amount of edges is random as well so no standard hexagon field. Your characters have an amount of movement points and some abilities. Each character has two different kinds of health points. One is standard hitpoints , the other one is like emotional health. Dropping low on the later one opens characters to fall into different "moods". This moods bring different changes to your character. A character who is charmed by another one doesn't expect to be attacked so if it is hit, it loses extra hitpoints. A frightened character doesn't hit as hard as before and so on.

I really liked the idea of the game and I hope there will be a lot of treasures to hunt and a good amount of characters to choose from. What I'd love to see is a feature like an online scoreboard.

nighteyes

Post by nighteyes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:33 am

So guys, any updates on the progress?
Definetly looking forward to some more info, or images.