Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Challenge #38: The Egyptiotes

Manuel

Challenge #38: The Egyptiotes

Post by Manuel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:48 pm

This week the challenge runs a bit shorter, so that all submissions are in before we release Patch #19, which introduces balance changes. Make sure to finish your run by next week Tuesday, US morning, European evening. Find the exact time in the submission guidelines.

The Story
Pedrinho and his crew had just returned from Rio where they had attended one of the finest sports events in the World. They had been sitting first row due to their excellent performance as explorers. Apparently their gold had been really important to the organizers.
Walking through the halls he revelled in the familiar smell of the Society. It was good to be home. To see the other explorers, but hey, what was up with Bia. She looked so... silent. Nah! Bia is always silent, nothing changed! Pedrinho walked on happy as ever. But then he heard his name. "Pedrinho." The Riot of Rio turned around to answer Bia. "Pedrinho, tell me about the games." He didn't have to be told to tell a story twice. Twenty minutes into a marvellous story about twirling athletes Bia sighed in the slightest. Pedrinho wouldn't be Pedrinho if it wasn't for his strengthened sense of even the tiniest social cues. "Whats up then, Bia?". "Nothing. I just hoped the Games would be more about Greece. I've been trying to learn more about the old Greeks.". Before Pedrinho could ask why, chairman Pinkerton butted in. "Ah, very well, Bia. I've got just the expedition for you. We've learned most of what we could from Athens and the like, but perhaps you can look into the Egyptiotes?"

The Rules

- Your captain needs to be a natural Archaeologist*
- Bring Bia
- Visit Egypt as your last expedition
*a natural Archaeologist is someone who can gain Archaeologist perks through leveling.

- Your score is your Renown.
- Play on Adventure Mode.
- Play on any Difficulty.
- Your game has to be played on Patch #18 or later

The Goals
BRONZE: 2000 Renown (1 Medal Points*)
SILVER: 7000 Renown (2 MP*)
GOLD: 9000 Renown (3 MP*)
PLATINUM: 12000 Renown**
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points, but we will track how many you have.

STORY MEDAL: Who are these Egyptiotes and what is their history? Why does Bia want to know more about her ancestors? Will this expedition bring her the answers she's looking for?

We're keeping track of all the medals you gained in the Hall of Fame.

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
  • Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
  • Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
  • Link to it here with a comment.
  • Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post to show readers what your story is about.
Highscores
  • Play the game according to the challenge rules.
  • Post a screenshot of your Win screen (that is the screen right after the win ceremony) in this topic.*
  • Submit by Tuesday, August 23rd, 19:00 noon CEST / 12:00 CT. (Check your timezone here)
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Previous Challenge: Challenge #37 - Go for Gold

PlutoniumRooster

Re: Challenge #38: The Egyptiotes

Post by PlutoniumRooster » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Haven't had time to stream this week unfortunately, but I'll see if I can still get a run in. :)

Worblehat

Post by Worblehat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:53 am

Well that sucked.
ch38fail.png
Yet another Bronze...

Haste due to the shorter deadline plus a *really* supply-sucking layout of Transylvania made the boss fight unwinnable. I don't think my execution of the Secret strategy would have been good enough for more than a silver anyway, with the new higher target renown thresholds.

If there was more time I'd retry with Bia and Harry, captained by either Jan-Piet again or possibly Agatha. Oh well.

Worblehat

Post by Worblehat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:53 am

Thank you for the extended deadline Manuel! Third time's the charm (game 2: Jan-Piet, Bia, Harry, dead in Hungary on expedition 2 - another supply-unfriendly map layout, plus two glass cannons with only JP's rather weak heal to keep them up).

This one's not good enough for Platinum, but that's OK since I didn't think I'd even reach Gold. :-)
ch38.png
I took Emilia as captain purely for her healing abilities. Maybe the JP version could have survived this route though, not sure. I went Caribbean because attempt #2 showed me that Harry needs to go where there are Rogue/Beguiler challenges, which is not Hungary. I saved Mali for the #4 slot but sadly no Star this time. That would have easily turned this into a Platinum run as it turned out.

One question - Emilia ended up with the Opposite of Harry double black heart outcome of Harry's personal story, and it gave her the Naturalist-Classical Physics perk she already had from when she hit level 1. Is that working as intended, or was she supposed to get something else (maybe Archaeology - Excavation, the level 1 perk I didn't give her?)?

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:04 am

Results are up here

I don't know the answer to your question, Worblehat. It could be that this is always the same perk, but perhaps Adriaan has finer control over these perk distributions. I'll ask him when I'm back in the office on Monday.

PlutoniumRooster

Post by PlutoniumRooster » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:10 am

Manuel wrote:I don't know the answer to your question, Worblehat. It could be that this is always the same perk, but perhaps Adriaan has finer control over these perk distributions. I'll ask him when I'm back in the office on Monday.
I think I can answer that one. :)

These perks are fixed, and can unfortunately give someone a perk they already have. I suppose hating someone might give you a perk that's furthest away from that person's interests? In each case, for Charles, anyone who becomes Charles' Opposite will gain the same perk - Classical Physics.

Worblehat

Post by Worblehat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks. I was just reading up on the Steam discussions of Challenge 39, specifically http://steamcommunity.com/app/296970/di ... 696874310/

I had thought that the opposite-perk would be specific to the character gaining the perk, not the person to whom they are opposite. So in the Emilia-Harry example I had thought maybe it was supposed to be the level 1 perk she didn't pick, but a missing "not" in the code made it the one she did pick. But that is very much not the case, opposite-Harry is Classical Physics no matter who is involved and it's just a coincidence that it happened to be a natural perk of the character gaining it.

For Challenge 39 I'm not really seeing a good way to make use of all this, but it's definitely good to know!