Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Challenge 45: A Traditional Gift

Blackvision

Challenge 45: A Traditional Gift

Post by Blackvision » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Challenge 45: A Traditional GiftAuthor: Welsh Dragon
Contributions by AceRumble, Blackvision, Flamestalker, Lord Reliant, Pikminenco

It's the regular meeting, and Lady Vaduva is filling in for Pinkerton. "One last matter. As you will have noticed, Pinkerton isn't here today. He sends his apologies, but he's helping with the preparations for his niece's wedding.” This caused a murmur to go around the room. Most of them didn't know he had a niece. “I'm sure you'll join me in wanting to get them a present, but what to get?”
“It's obvious,” Agatha said dismissively. “We should get them something old, like a treasure from an ancient civilization perhaps. The Malians, the Egyptians, the Inca...”
“No!” Interrupted Anna. “It should be something new and useful. A great discovery or an invention... Perhaps some kind of electrical appliance.”
“Sorry ladies. But I think you are both wrong...” said Harry. “This close to the wedding all the best gifts will already be taken. So we might have to 'borrow' something.”
“But we need to keep it a secret. We don't want to spoil the surprise,” said Hildegard, pulling some blue flowers from her top hat with a flourish.”
“They are all excellent ideas.” Lady Vaduva said, trying to regain a little order. “Whatever we get, I'm sure it will be lovely. Just make sure to deliver it to the Highlands when you've decided. It's important we get to the church on time.”

The Rules:
  • Find Something Old: Visit one of the ancient civilizations. (Mali, Egypt or the Andes)
  • Find Something New: You should completely research one of the advanced sciences. (Anthropology, Psychology, Engineering, Natural Sciences.)
  • Find Something Borrowed: Your crew should contain a natural Rogue*
  • Find Something Blue: You need to end with a Devious reputation of level 3 ( at least 3 expeditions need to be finished Devious)
  • Get To The Church On Time: Your fifth expedition must be the Highlands, because that's where the wedding is happening.
*a natural Rogue is someone who can gain Rogue perks through leveling - Harry, Molly, Phillipe or Yvonne.

The Goals
  • BRONZE: 2000 points (1MP*)
  • SILVER: 5000 points (2MP*)
  • GOLD: 7500 points (3MP*)
  • PLATINUM: 12000(3MP+**)
* Number of medal points awarded when playing on Classic Difficulty. Easy and Normal give less, according to these rules.
** The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

- Remember to include screenshots of your completed research tree as well as your end-game screen!

How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use the Challenge theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in this forum.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Story ideas: What will the present(s) be? What will the wedding be like? Will the happy couple like their gift, or will things go wrong? What does Anna mean by “electrical appliance?”

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen, right after the ceremony.*
Please include your own calculation of your score with your screenshot.
Submit by 12/10/16 12.00 Noon CEST (Or 10/12/16 for the American Audience) (click here for your local time equivilant)
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new score, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which score you are submitting.

*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

In addition to the usual winning screen screenshot, don't forget to include a picture of your tech trees!

Previous Challenge:
For challenge #44 results and details, click here.

Welcome to the first Community Challenge event!
(Apologies for getting out a bit later here than on Steam forums, had a misunderstanding with the forum setup, will do better next time!)

Worblehat

Re: Challenge 45: A Traditional Gift

Post by Worblehat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:19 am

Nicely designed challenge, too bad it favors teams very similar to last week's though. Pretty much the same result with Charles as with Yvonne, around 9k, easy gold, nowhere near platinum. I wish I knew how to get 5-digit scores with captains not named Dolores... I thought about using her for this one, but I've done a lot of Dolores games and wanted to keep trying to figure out how to score well with other captains.
ch45.png
In answer to my own question in the previous thread, I ran into Pachacuti and recruited him. This game was also my first encounter with the zombie in Transylvania, so that was interesting. I still don't really see the point of going to the Andes in a normal game though. Those necromancer checks are insanely difficult - Phillipe (the best possible character for them) had 67% and 55% chances, failing the second. Would have been nice to have tools, but that's not the direction I was going with research this game.

If you're serious about the research screen actually being a constraint, I've attached that too. Who doesn't complete at least one of those trees in every single game? I certainly haven't. Though come to think of it that could be an interesting real constraint on some future challenge - requiring that none of the four (or perhaps no trees at all) be completed...
Attachments
ch45res.png

Blackvision

Post by Blackvision » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Results are now available here!

The new challenge will be available in a few hours as well, keep an eye out for it in the forums!

Blackvision

Post by Blackvision » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Worblehat wrote: In answer to my own question in the previous thread, I ran into Pachacuti and recruited him. This game was also my first encounter with the zombie in Transylvania, so that was interesting. I still don't really see the point of going to the Andes in a normal game though. Those necromancer checks are insanely difficult - Phillipe (the best possible character for them) had 67% and 55% chances, failing the second. Would have been nice to have tools, but that's not the direction I was going with research this game.

If you're serious about the research screen actually being a constraint, I've attached that too. Who doesn't complete at least one of those trees in every single game? I certainly haven't. Though come to think of it that could be an interesting real constraint on some future challenge - requiring that none of the four (or perhaps no trees at all) be completed...
Well done on Pachacuti - just read the question and was about to reply after posting the results here, so glad you found him. As for Vigilante, if you pass a check which I believe is Rogue-perk-based in his event, he can join then - I think his node's got the Technical event marker and a gold/status, not sure about other markers though.

As for the research concepts, I'll put it to the team!

Oh, and for the Necromancer, they patched it a while back so that even if you fail the first check, you can still complete the event and get the treasure, just with a resolve loss, so it's only the Rogue-based perk check that's 100% vital there.