Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Challenge #50: Explore the World

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:55 pm

Looking for the Renown progress & team coordination sheet?
CLICK HERE

Story and Design: Lord Reliant
Additional contributions from: Blackvision, Welsh Dragon, Liort

We've been doing this for a while now. Today marks the 5th community-created weekly challenge, and also the 50th weekly challenge in general! In celebration of this, Abbey Games challenges you to cooperate as a community and show how good you can really play this game, and perhaps more important: how good you are at helping each other play the game. This will be fun, but to also make it worth your while we will give out rewards based on how the community as a whole performs.

Story
“WOWIE!” Hildegard Haas said in amazement as she stared at Emilia Karawoski’s collection of plant specimens. “That’s more plants that I’ve ever seen in one place.” Emilia beamed at Hildegard’s praise. Then Hildegard frowned. “What’s the difference between these two? They look the same…”

Emilia replied, pointing at the two species in question “At first glance, yes, they’re very similar. But the more you get to know them, the more you can see how they’re different. Each one interacts with its environment in a unique and special way. Isn’t it amazing?”

“I couldn’t agree more!” Chairman Pinkerton said, walking toward the two explorers, overhearing their exchange. “Your observation, Emilia, has application beyond even botany! Take that subtle variation beyond that realm and into the world of exploration. Each new discovery, mystery, and treasure adds a new contribution to our world and society. Because of this, I’m officially commissioning everyone, all of our explorers, to complete as many expeditions as possible to show the unique things that make us all Renowned Explorers!”

Hildegard and Emilia smiled, happy to be an inspiration for Pinkerton’s latest proclamation. They’d just make sure Earl Shanty wasn’t anywhere near Emilia’s prized collection.

Rules:
  • You may select any team captain and crew you wish, however, only one score for each team will be counted - the highest score for each team across all players.
    NOTE: a 'team' consists of the particular captain and 2 other crew members - you may have the same three crew members as other players, so long as your captain is different from theirs.
  • Each player may only submit 1 score towards the total. If the player posts multiple runs they need to denote before the deadline which run they will oficially submit.
  • Every entrant will receive the same medal, determined by the combined performance.
[*] Play on Classic difficulty (or higher). If this is your first Weekly Challenge ever, Normal is also accepted.

Scoring:
Everyone who submits will earn the same medal*, but which medal this will be depends on the total sum of Renown across all submissions (one per person)
  • BRONZE: A total sum of 100,000 Renown across all submissions
  • SILVER: A total sum of 200,000 Renown across all submissions
  • GOLD: A total sum of 350,000 Renown across all submissions
  • PLATINUM*: A total sum of 500,000 Renown across all submissions
* The platinum medal is extraordinary and can only be achieved on Classic or Impossible difficulty without losing. It doesn't increase Medal Points further than a Gold medal, but we will track how many you have.

Rewards:
The weekly challenge is designed for fun, but if you all come together and break these insane Renown barriers, then we think some rewards will be in order. To celebrate any medals given out for this challenge we will host a livestream next week on Twitch, probably at around 19:00 CEST. More info will follow. In this stream we'll comment on the results and raffle any Steam key rewards.

- BRONZE:
  • Raffle 2 REIS Steam keys among participants (to keep or give away)
- SILVER:
  • Raffle 2 REIS Steam keys
  • Raffle 2 More To Explore Steam keys
  • We'll create and add the CORK HAT item to the game in the next patch.
- GOLD:
  • Raffle 3 REIS Steam keys
  • Raffle 3 More To Explore Steam keys
  • Raffle 3 Reus Steam keys
  • We'll create and add the HISTORY BOOK item to the game in the next patch.
- PLATINUM:
  • Raffle 5 REIS Steam keys
  • Raffle 5 More To Explore Steam keys
  • Raffle 5 Reus Steam keys
  • We'll create and add the HISTORY BOOK item to the game in the next patch.
  • We'll create and add the BISCUIT BOX item to the game in the next patch.
  • We'll create and add the BOLT GUN item to the game in the next patch.
  • BONUS: During the stream we'll drop a hint towards the upcoming second DLC for Renowned Explorers.
How to participate
You can participate with a highscore, a story or both.

Stories
Write a story. Use this special challenge's theme as an inspiration by looking at the constraints. Find other stories in the Fan Story directory or by looking at previous challenges.
Post your story in a new topic in these forums.
Also link to it to this thread with a comment: Include the first paragraph/few lines of your story in the post here to show readers what your story is about.

Highscores
Play the game according to the challenge rules.
Post in this topic a screenshot of your Win Screen*, right after the ceremony or your Leaderboard record*.
Submit by 12:00 noon CET, on 16/11/16. (Or 11/16/16 for those using MM/DD/YY)
(Check here for your local time equivalent)
NOTE: Only one score will be accepted - only one submission for each player please. If you wish to enter a new entry, please edit your initial entry and make it clear which you are submitting.
*If you forget to screenshot the Win screen, you can also enter with a screenshot of your Leaderboards: Go to Main Menu > Leaderboards > Local > click the entry that matches your submission game > screenshot those details.

Remember, only 1 submission per team and per player will count - before deciding your team, check the submissions and any player's posted teams to avoid clashes (and you're advised to post up your team choices so that other people won't go for them). It's also worth pre-booking your team(s) here so that others won't take a run with them. It's up to individuals whether they want to rearrange team selections with others, so don't forget to work together!

Players may wish to take more than one team so they can have several options to submit in order to make sure no player's submissions are wasted or to allow some leeway if someone else wants one of your team choices as well.

As a tool for the community, BlackVision created the following google sheet. It offers no guarantees, but can help you get an overview. However, in the end, only the top entry for each team will be accepted. Any entries showing as Red within the team selection mean that you have entered a double team (eg. The same crew member in both captain and crew), while a red indicator along the right indicates that another entry with that team exists.

Game Version
The build used must be #401 (Patch 20.1).

Story ideas: How will all the Explorers make sure their contributions make an impact? What are the effects of so many explorers going about the world? What will they all find, and what kind of a ceremony will they hold afterwards with all their findings?

For the previous challenge Challenge #49: Marquess of Queensberry Rules - click here

Good luck everyone, and remember that your fellow explorers on the Steam Forums may participate too.

Blackvision

Re: Challenge #50: Explore the World

Post by Blackvision » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:33 am

Small note - anyone using the Google Sheets prior to this time, apologies, they weren't 100% working. They now are!

Also, any players for whom this is a first-entry, your name (after typing it in) will come up with a red arrow in the corner that mentions data validation errors - don't worry, this is just because you're not yet on our list of players, and we use the tag to mark players to add to the Hall of Fame list after the challenge is complete.

Manuel

Post by Manuel » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:53 am

Gold has already been reached! Let's up the stakes a little.

If the community reaches Platinum (500,000 Renown o.0) we will not only add extra Steam keys to the raffle, add the BISCUIT BOX and drop a hint towards the DLC, there will also be another item reward unlocked, the BOLT GUN. You'll find it in the reward tier description.

Worblehat

Post by Worblehat » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:01 am

Nice challenge idea, worth coming back for. :-) Unfortunately I didn't get very far in the time I had (most of which was wasted anyway, with endless restarts plus terrible luck on the first attempt). First attempt was abandoned in expedition 3 when Victor's card still didn't show up. Attempt #2 got killed by the abbess, which is just as well since clearly the team would have had no chance in Lost Island. So I still haven't made any use of Victor's card - played it in the second game, but the game wouldn't even let me equip the rapier, so any other card would have done just as much in the end... I don't know, maybe I'm just rusty at this game. :P

If failed expeditions count for this one, I can contribute 1374 for Bia with Victor & Phillipe. I don't think that combo appears on the spreadsheet yet, anyway. Let me know if I should post a screenshot.

Ullissen

Post by Ullissen » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:19 am

We got Platinum! Dont forget to check out the Twitch stream tomorrow for a chance at the Raffle.

Channel: http://twitch.tv/abbeygames
Date: November 16, 2016
Time: 19:00 CET / 10:00 PT