Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Questions by the Pound!: new Devedio! MOAR questions

Anything Reus-related that doesn't fit the other forums.
smithay
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Re: Questions by the Pound!: new Devedio! MOAR questions

Post by smithay » Thu May 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Also, I regret putting freeplay in there, and I think I wanted to appeal to too many people at once. Now it's just this dead feature that doesn't appeal to anyone and even makes the game feel bad for some.
I like freeplay, the eras are bit stressful for me. Constantly rushing around trying to make sure all the giants are busy is an interesting challange. But sometimes its nice to just watch the villagers milling around.

Hielke
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hielke » Thu May 23, 2013 4:18 pm

The thing that's hurting us the most is, surprisingly, the nice graphics. People get pretty angry if they see a movie and think it's this all chill good looking feely god game, but it turns out to be this exploration and challenge heavy thinking game. It's a big realization for me, and one I still have to come to terms with. If we had FTL graphics, I think we would have had way less backlash on what Reus is not.
I wouldn't beat yourself up on something like this. If the game had FTL graphics it would lose a lot of it's charm imo. One of the best things about the game for me is how cool all the animals etc look. And the clean sharpness and high resolution of the style. It makes some other badly textured 3d games look like crap in comparison. Please don't use FTL graphics for a future title :D.

Also people on the internet will always find a reason to be angry. 'Godgame' is such a broad genre that it's pretty impossible to fit everyone's expectations anyway.

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Thu May 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Adriaan wrote:Also, I regret putting freeplay in there, and I think I wanted to appeal to too many people at once. Now it's just this dead feature that doesn't appeal to anyone and even makes the game feel bad for some.
I will add that I did not see a lot of negative reactions about freeplay, just critics about how it should be.
I can not imagine a god game without freeplay. And you should not regret putting it into the game.
Really not.
:D

EatingBurger

Post by EatingBurger » Thu May 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Adriaan wrote:- Should I try to appeal better to people who expect a more relaxed and controlable god game experience...
- Or should I make the people who like Reus even happier with more content, (game)options, challenges and mechanics to master?

It's a really though question!
imo the dedicated playerbase that will form since the launch will be the ones who enjoy the game in its current form; i.e. as a challenging puzzle game. Expanding on those elements and adding more unique challenges based on them would be the direction I'd take.

BUT THEN AGAIN I AM KIND OF BIASED IN THIS REGARD, AS YOU WELL KNOW

That said I want to throw more money at you for this game let me throw money at you I beg you. I am seriously considering just buying copies for friends at this point.