Page 2 of 3

Re: Random War Name Generator

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:59 pm
by Chuggoka
But welcome to the forums!
Thank you!
Are you running Windows?
Yes I do.
The only problem is that it can generate quite long names like "The One-Sided Battle over the Beautiful Princess" or "Three Quintillionth, Mindless War" which might be a little too long.
I noticed that too.. I have to tweak it to adjust name lenght

Re: Random War Name Generator

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:10 am
by Qustinnus
Chuggoka wrote:
The only problem is that it can generate quite long names like "The One-Sided Battle over the Beautiful Princess" or "Three Quintillionth, Mindless War" which might be a little too long.
I noticed that too.. I have to tweak it to adjust name lenght
How will you tweak it?

Re: Random War Name Generator

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:40 am
by Chuggoka
Qustinnus wrote:
Chuggoka wrote:
The only problem is that it can generate quite long names like "The One-Sided Battle over the Beautiful Princess" or "Three Quintillionth, Mindless War" which might be a little too long.
I noticed that too.. I have to tweak it to adjust name lenght
How will you tweak it?
More Versatile Names, each being a little shorter. My new Version:

Code: Select all

Axiom: Name

Name -> "The ", Adjective, " War"; 1
Name -> "The ", EpicName;1
Name -> "The Battle of ", Place;1
NAme -> "The ", Number, " ", Attribute, "War";1

Adjective -> "Epic"; 3
Adjective -> "Mindless"; 1
Adjective -> "Peaceful"; 1
Adjective -> "Brutal"; 2
Adjective -> "Bloody"; 2

EpicName -> "War to end all Wars";1
EpicName -> "Blood Bath";3
EpicName -> "Hammer";2

Place -> "Insert City Name here";1

Number -> "First";3
Number -> "Second";2
Number -> "Fifth";1
Number -> "Twenty-Second";1

Attribute -> "Fish";1
Attribute -> "Galactic";1
Attribute -> "Useless";1
Attribute -> "Opium";1
Attribute -> "Backyard";1

Re: Random War Name Generator

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:14 pm
by Chattox
You could take a page from Dwarf Fortress' book and have the different strings in a text file that users can edit. That way they can have the generator set up for names of their choice; and they could even do it in different languages and include their names and stuff :)

Re: Random War Name Generator

Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:19 pm
by Bas
Hey dudes!

Awesome! I've added the ruleset to the game! But please do continue improving it so Reus will be even awesomer! ;)

I really like the idea of making the file editable but have to add some extra code for and don't know if I have the time for it. Also the restriction of short names is rather important as I don't want people fucking up the beautiful game with super duper long war names. ;)

Cheerios!
Bas

Re: Random War Name Generator

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 am
by JInFi
i'm not too sure if this is a possibility (since i don't do much programming at all, and time of essence), but is it possible to make two variable tables?

for starters, if a location setting (or region) is applied, the names could be much more relevant to the location (ie in a swamp, the end noun would probably be something similar to swamp/lake, whereas in a mountainous area, the end-name will probably be something to do with the mountain). this would minimalize illogical names if not already done so.

secondly, this would most likely make more specific adjectives be less awkward as well as allowing for a broader selection of terms without actually lengthening the overall name.

although this is probably completely irrelevant, i have had previous experience in utilizing a similar device for WC3 World Editing, in which by specifying a region, you can then link this region's name back into the variable table. this could possibly reinforce the location setting idea and make the name-table more immersive.

that said, i can't argue that broad terms are also very effective at portraying epic names. the current setup looks good as it is.

Re: Random War Name Generator

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:28 am
by Bas
Hey JInFi,

What I could do is add some rules programmatically that resolve to the names of the cities at war and/or the region in which they reside. So it would be as if these rules where added:

Code: Select all

City1 -> "London"
City2 -> "New York"
Is that what you mean?

Re: Random War Name Generator

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 am
by JInFi
similar, i was more-so thinking of geographical location rather than cities, mainly because we can't all expect the fighting to occur inside cities at all times (although we do expect sieges to occur). however, that will probably require more sophisticated coding, as you need to reference to point of the geographical location and designate a name for each generated location and whatnot.

Re: Random War Name Generator

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:29 pm
by Qustinnus
JInFi wrote:similar, i was more-so thinking of geographical location rather than cities, mainly because we can't all expect the fighting to occur inside cities at all times (although we do expect sieges to occur). however, that will probably require more sophisticated coding, as you need to reference to point of the geographical location and designate a name for each generated location and whatnot.
Actually perhaps if they have already designed names for the biomes they could re-use them for the names, Right?

Re: Random War Name Generator

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:35 pm
by SharpKris
JInFi wrote:similar, i was more-so thinking of geographical location rather than cities, mainly because we can't all expect the fighting to occur inside cities at all times (although we do expect sieges to occur). however, that will probably require more sophisticated coding, as you need to reference to point of the geographical location and designate a name for each generated location and whatnot.
but wouldnt biomes be a changing variable?