Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Some Questions about game mechanics

Anything Reus-related that doesn't fit the other forums.
Post Reply
kaibioinfo
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Some Questions about game mechanics

Post by kaibioinfo » Sun May 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi,
Reus is a great game, but there are still some points I don't understand.

1.) What does a fertility boost? Does it improve the aspects which are already on the plant/mineral/animal, or does it increase the chance of getting better aspects when putting them on the field? When should I use this ability?

2.) When does village borders expand? Does it depends on time or on prosperity?

Maybe you could take this information also into the wiki.

Thank you!

UristMcDorf
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Re: Some Questions about game mechanics

Post by UristMcDorf » Sun May 19, 2013 7:24 pm

1) As far as I can tell, it increases the chances of getting an aspect of [fertility level or lower] if it's normally 25% for the one casting the aspect. So if you have level 2 fertility and you apply a level 2 aspect to the boosted tile, you have a 100% chance of getting a purple (greater, I think?) boost. If you apply a level 1 aspect you have a 100% chance of getting a potent aspect, too, but if you apply a level 3 aspect, the chances of getting greater/sublime aspects remain the same as usual, 75%/25%, since level 2 fertility doesn't boost sublime aspect chance. You should use it whenever you're fine-tuning an already existing tile. For creating a lot of new tiles (or mass-replacing them), Moonsong is preferrable as it has a much higher area of effect and a faster cooldown (I think).

2) Depends on prosperity from what I can tell.

User avatar
Nixitur
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Some Questions about game mechanics

Post by Nixitur » Sun May 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Fertility boosts do not boost the aspects that are already on the patch, but they do increase the chance to get better ones.
For example, by default on level 1, you have a 75% chance of a "Lesser Leaf Aspect" and 25% of a "Potent Leaf Aspect". If you use a Fertility Boost, you get a 100% (I think) chance of a "Potent Leaf Aspect", but no chance of an even better one.
Some natural sources require potent or better aspects to transmute. The Marsh Mallow transmutes to a White Willow ONLY with a potent leaf aspect or better. Since lots of White Willows are ridiculously good at generating Tech, you want to make sure that you get a potent aspect, so you use Moonsoon or Fertility Boost to get potent aspects.

And yes, borders depend on prosperity, but it seems that you can coax them to expand in a specific direction by placing resources just outside the border.

kaibioinfo
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Re: Some Questions about game mechanics

Post by kaibioinfo » Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Thank you very much.

Now the game becomes much easier, because I use fertility or monsuun before placing an aspect. That makes really a huge change.
I think this should be explained in more detail in the tutorial.

Nevertheless, this system leads to a lot of micro management =/ The missing of an upgrade possibility is very annoying. This is also the case for better plants: If a giant get a better ability, I have to replace each plant/mineral/animal by better ones. Maybe this is necessary, such that you have enough to do in the endgame, but it is still annoying.

kaibioinfo
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Re: Some Questions about game mechanics

Post by kaibioinfo » Tue May 21, 2013 12:56 am

Adriaan wrote:The borders expand over time, but some things like mountains and danger make it grow slower.

Also, land of the same type as the village (like forest and a forest village) are taken over by a village quicker.
That's interesting. Especially this hidden negative effect of danger.

Post Reply