Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Greed: The literal worst mechanic.

Anything Reus-related that doesn't fit the other forums.
kaibioinfo

Re: Greed: The literal worst mechanic.

Post by kaibioinfo » Wed May 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Danger is only a temporary control, since as the town growns, it can handle more danger. Also, it's probably not in your best interest to waste patches with danger when you need it for other resources for projects.
Some resources favour danger, for example iron. Furthermore, you can remove danger later.
Sketchy said it already:
The ultimate technique I've found for all this is "danger rushing". This technique works best late-game when you are trying to complete the biggest projects and have at least one 4-ambassador giant. The idea is to keep danger in the "middle zone" while pumping out RIDICULOUS amounts of resources.
So increase danger, then increase the resource income such that the village is growing faster. After a while you can remove the danger.

Caiobrz

Post by Caiobrz » Wed May 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Is there any unwanted side effect of keeping danger in the middle zone, other than possibly wasting patches with danger instead of wanted resources?

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Wed May 22, 2013 5:40 pm

I think borders expand a little slower with some danger, although that may just happen if danger is high.

Spyre2k

Post by Spyre2k » Wed May 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Besides the danger mechanic there is the Awe mechanic which doesn't appear to be as popular since it seems nearly everyone was pushing danger usage techniques. As for Awe is allows you to have a larger growth rate before greed sets in.

The default is if your current resource max is 20 greater than the resource usage of the village you will have Greed. So 99/120 on Food will get you Greed but when it hits 100/120 you no longer have greed increase. The 3 red arrows on the village screen means that growth is high enough to cause greed.

I mention this because each point of Awe increases that amount by 1. So if you have 10 Awe you can have a difference of 30 between your usage and max before greed sets in. Awe is a little easier to manage than danger because it's not an all or nothing prospect the way danger is.

It is also more limited though as there are only a few Symbiosis setups that give it in decent amounts, and aspect that provides it is very limited. With Danger the aspects work with animals which gives +1 per tile, and most animals are 5 Tiles, where as Awe aspects work on minerals and also do +1 per tile but they only have one tile.

smithay

Post by smithay » Wed May 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks for all the advise guys! been doing a bit better with the greed lately with your tips, its a bit frustrating that level 1 predator aspect does not increase danger as one might expect it to but there are ways around it.

Zindaras

Post by Zindaras » Fri May 24, 2013 3:39 pm

NeonElf wrote:Has anyone here actually ever had enough danger to affect greed? I mean by the time I can make dangerous animals the villages are advanced to the point it would require nothing but surrounding them with bears on all spots. Does anyone actually use danger effectively? If so how?

-Neon Elf
I had much fun with danger in the beta. I may very well be the reason why danger is such a difficult mechanic, since in early versions I basically eased through the game on the back of danger. It should be noted that danger is a late-game mechanic and that awe is much easier to use in the early game. As far as generating danger goes, Boars, Javelinas and Musk Deer are great animals to generate danger, and Iguanas can also do some nice work. Since dangerous animals will also cause damage to armies and lynch mobs going through them, the game becomes a lot easier that way. In the late game, you get animals that generate an insane amount of danger. Anyone who's plopped down a Coyote, Komodo Dragon, Snow Leopard or Crocodile knows what I'm talking about. The key is to figure out the best resources to work with those danger-providing animals. Iron and Coal are my personal favourites.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Fri May 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Zindaras wrote: I had much fun with danger in the beta. I may very well be the reason why danger is such a difficult mechanic, since in early versions I basically eased through the game on the back of danger.
Yes.

Yes you were. >:C

Zindaras

Post by Zindaras » Mon May 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Adriaan wrote:
Zindaras wrote: I had much fun with danger in the beta. I may very well be the reason why danger is such a difficult mechanic, since in early versions I basically eased through the game on the back of danger.
Yes.

Yes you were. >:C
I am so happy to have made a mark on this game. ^_^

coanda

Post by coanda » Mon May 27, 2013 8:06 pm

It takes all of 3-4 seconds to drop down an aspect. Once you get level-2 hunt or predator aspect (which can be as early as just 5 ambassadors), you can start getting 5+ danger per aspect. And you can generally stack multiple aspects on one animal.

Controlling greed with danger requires a fair amount of micromanagement, because you need to keep steadily ramping it up for all of your villages to keep them all in the sweet-spot. It also makes it painful if you fail projects, because greed won't drop either while the village is endangered. But it's not particularly conceptually difficult. Get level-2 hunt or predator early, keep animals by your villages, keep an eye on village danger thresholds, throw down an additional aspect as needed. Remember that for danger (as for all other animal yields), just because you can't SEE it underneath the actual village itself doesn't mean it isn't there.

Darexon

Post by Darexon » Tue May 28, 2013 6:44 am

Greed is there to make the game more challenging, without it the game would just be about spamming resources. To make sure the greed doesn`t get too high don't place a lot of resources at one time unless you have enough awe our danger to prevent greed growth.