Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Is Reus worth it?

Anything Reus-related that doesn't fit the other forums.
Sheip

Is Reus worth it?

Post by Sheip » Mon May 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Hello,
First off I would like to say Hello. This is my first post on this forum. Secondly I would like to know if those of you who have bought Reus consider it a game worth the money. Does it have replayablility? Is it satisfying? Is it difficult> I'm quite curious and would like to know your opinions on the game. Thank you.

Adriaan

Re: Is Reus worth it?

Post by Adriaan » Mon May 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Heya! Welcome!

I would consider Reus if you:
* Like exploring strategies and possibilites
* Like a good mind challenge, and later in game, think ahead
* like mixing and matching combos

I would not expect:
* infinite replay. Reus is big, but the challenges are limited by it's content, which a good player will reach in about 30-40 hours. Of course, you can still enjoy it in many ways, but you'll have to 'make your own' fun a bit more from there on.
* ultra creative expression. You can do a lot of fun stuff, but it's not minecraft or the sims when it comes to building.

I would leave it be if:
* you want a lot of speed in your game
* you can't enjoy some time pressure
* you are more of the action type player
* you expect Black&White mini ;)

Hope it helps!

SjoerdDost

Post by SjoerdDost » Mon May 20, 2013 11:01 pm

Good and honest reply. Would say it also depends on the amount of content you guys will be creating after release. So far plans do seem hopeful, making Reus definately worth it.

kaibioinfo

Post by kaibioinfo » Mon May 20, 2013 11:03 pm

I asked myself the same questions as the game looks as it would become boring after a few hours. Now I have played for 10 hours and it is far away from being boring.
Does it have replayablility?
You unlock new objects when reaching new archivements. Furthermore, you can try different strategies in each game (you have to do this to reach all archievements). I would say this motivates for many hours.
Is it difficult
Hm, hard to answer. The game has no real win or loose situation. You either try to reach archivements or to get bigger and richer cities. Beat your last game "score" becomes more and more difficult. To let your cities grow you have to help them building some special buildings (e.g. a factory or a trade post). For this, you have to provide the right resources, terraform the land and so on. But doing this to fast or wrong may result in angry citizens who start to attack other villages. In the endgame you have usually some rebellions on the planet and you have enough to do to save your villages and lead the cities back to a peaceful live (or destroy them).

10 $/€ is not much money and the game is worth it. The last indie game which impressed me so much was Faster than Light.
Last edited by kaibioinfo on Mon May 20, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Touriste

Post by Touriste » Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Hello !
First of all I want to point out the fact that most people on this forum are here because they liked the game so you will not have a lot of negative feedbacks.

I liked the game because it is peaceful and fun, the animations with the human are quite detailed and can lead to some laughs sometimes if you imagine a real village.
And the game itself is replayable if you unlock a lot of tiers, I do not see it really long without at least the half of tier 3 content.

Edit : I saw some people gave some similar opinions, but whatever, I am too lazy to change mine :P

It is totally worth the price !

Sheip

Post by Sheip » Mon May 20, 2013 11:38 pm

I am going to torrent the game and play for around 20 - 30 minutes. If I like it I will be more than happy to purchase it on Steam. Thank you for your immediate reply!

M4st3rM1nd

Post by M4st3rM1nd » Tue May 21, 2013 2:06 am

I have an exam on Thursday and have been playing this game for over 24 hours total time already XD

attackyak

Post by attackyak » Tue May 21, 2013 2:21 am

Reus is unlike other population simulators in that you have no control over the residents and rather have control of 4 giant gods that can place resources, upgrade them and unleash disasters. Reus is a game of balance and planning.; chucking resources at your inhabiting population is not the best approach as it may be an inefficient symbiosis or could cause rapid growth leading to high levels of greed and possibly wars. As you begin to play Reus pushes you to create the most prosperous world possible in the time limit given. This can be seen as very positive as it gives the game a more tactical and skillful aspect. Anyone who wants to continue their game after the timer runs out can continue in freeplay, unfortunately it does not allow you to continue unlocking projects and resources meaning you have to stick to the 'campaign' comprised of repeating the timed games forcing you to innovate in your developments of the small populations that inhabit your world. I have highly enjoyed replaying the game so far, and have started to memorise good symbiosis combinations in order to maximise the number of developments I can gain in each game.

I have enjoyed my 8 hours of gameplay enormously and I feel as if this game has a massive future if it is left open to the modding community as mods creating more giants or aspects of the game such as politics or trade will increase replayability enormously.

Johann12345

Post by Johann12345 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:45 am

Sheip wrote:I am going to torrent the game and play for around 20 - 30 minutes. If I like it I will be more than happy to purchase it on Steam. Thank you for your immediate reply!
10$ is really very cheap for a game of this quality... I think if a major label had made a game with exactly the same characteristics they could easily ask 39,99 for it.. I'd have thought the developers would have started at 19,99 or something, but apparently they chose for a more broad low hurdle approach.. I can't say I condone pirating, at least not when it's from independent developers, such as Abbey games, or a local music band... If you wanna pirate EA sports or Virgin records :P I'd have a lot less problems with that... Let us know how you enjoy the game =)

TheGodfather

Post by TheGodfather » Tue May 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Sheip wrote:I am going to torrent the game and play for around 20 - 30 minutes. If I like it I will be more than happy to purchase it on Steam. Thank you for your immediate reply!
I thinking you'll be buying the game immidiately. I bought it last Saturday and already have played more than 20 hours according to Steam. And the best part is: When I'm not playing Reus, I'm browsing this forum and writing posts! :D

And as Johann12345 said, it would be nice of you to really purchase the game if you actually like it. The devs are really nice, hardworking guys, that deserve every support and credit :-) and 10 $/€ is really not much for SUCH an awesome game.