Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Opinion time! New transmutation tooltip

Anything Reus-related that doesn't fit the other forums.

Do you want this tooltip?

Yes!
80%
No, current is fine
20%

Total votes: 45

Adriaan

Opinion time! New transmutation tooltip

Post by Adriaan » Tue May 21, 2013 3:22 pm

Would you like the transmutation tooltip to be like this:

Instead of the flavor text only? I'm not a fan of making calculations in the tooltip (like with item comparison in RPG's) because it will bog down a bit too easily into this malificent habit:

* hover over transmutation*
- Is it better?
* yes => upgrade
* no => keep it

and I want you to think for yourself! Time to make your math teacher proud!

So, vote and comment!

TheGodfather

Re: Opinion time! New transmutation tooltip

Post by TheGodfather » Tue May 21, 2013 3:29 pm

Well, I voted yes, because it would be a bit more easier for the newer gamers. As of now, only experienced players can know what the new smybioses of the next transmutation does and when it activates...

BUT if you say, like you mostly do Adriaan, that Reus is about exploring new plants/animals/minerlas, I would let it as it is :-)
So, I personally don't really need it, as I know what most the plants/animals/minerals do and with what they synergize best^^ (probably a lot of the other players too)

Rhadamant

Post by Rhadamant » Tue May 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Why not have this as an option in video/gameplay?

Another idea for a UI option that I'd really like to have implemented is some sort of progress bar towards the expansion of the borders of your villages. It would be awesome to know when I'm only a few prosperity away from expanding my borders.

blackimperator

Post by blackimperator » Tue May 21, 2013 3:48 pm

TheGodfather wrote:Well, I voted yes, because it would be a bit more easier for the newer gamers. As of now, only experienced players can know what the new smybioses of the next transmutation does and when it activates...

BUT if you say, like you mostly do Adriaan, that Reus is about exploring new plants/animals/minerlas, I would let it as it is :-)
So, I personally don't really need it, as I know what most the plants/animals/minerals do and with what they synergize best^^ (probably a lot of the other players too)
Agreeing with that, after a few hours, i don't really need the tooltip anymore since i know more or less what are the different symbiosis ( checking the wiki when i have a doubt), but for new players, it is definitely an improvement on the learning curve, but it does limit the trial and error feeling.

I stay neutral on the matter, do as you wish

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Tue May 21, 2013 4:00 pm

I've started to like the flavor text.

Also, the exploration of getting new things is more fun blind.

Spyre2k

Post by Spyre2k » Tue May 21, 2013 4:29 pm

I voted yes.

I don't really agree with the after a few hours of play you learn the Symbiosis. You do learn SOME of them, mainly the ones you use on a regular basis, but there are so many planets/animals/minerals that keeping track of them all is hard. Especially as you get to the higher level tiers that are 2-3 Transmutations deep.

Though as a third alternative, Why not do both? I've seen several games that let you adjust the level of detail in tool tips. They usually have 3 settings, Full Detail, Brief Summery, and None. So could you simply add a similar option to the game settings? That way when people become very familiar with the items they can opt for pure flavor text or simply turn them off.

kobun

Post by kobun » Tue May 21, 2013 4:40 pm

i voted yes too,most of the time i just do the transmutation and then reload in case i don't like it or just end up checking the wiki so such a tooltip would just spare me extra time

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Tue May 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Spyre2k wrote:I voted yes.

I don't really agree with the after a few hours of play you learn the Symbiosis. You do learn SOME of them, mainly the ones you use on a regular basis, but there are so many planets/animals/minerals that keeping track of them all is hard. Especially as you get to the higher level tiers that are 2-3 Transmutations deep.

Though as a third alternative, Why not do both? I've seen several games that let you adjust the level of detail in tool tips. They usually have 3 settings, Full Detail, Brief Summery, and None. So could you simply add a similar option to the game settings? That way when people become very familiar with the items they can opt for pure flavor text or simply turn them off.
That sounds pretty good!

giraffelyso

Post by giraffelyso » Tue May 21, 2013 4:53 pm

I would like to see this feature implemented, but ideally as a setting (for example, Detailed Tooltips). I voted yes for this reason. I wouldn't want to see it as a permanent feature. I feel that would take away from the game (which I admittedly just started playing).

Ganimed

Post by Ganimed » Tue May 21, 2013 5:20 pm

I appreciate this poll has been created as this is something I, as a new player,
am having issues with. Because there is very little usable land and a pressure to
populate the planet with as many villages as possible, maximizing output is of
utmost importance as there is a time limit on every project and on a play session
as a whole. From this point of view, the change would be welcome.

However, we must not forget that a large part of this game is about exploration,
be it finding new ambassador combinations, natural sources or ocean placements,
and to simply remove it would impoverish the game.

In the end, I would welcome this change because I favour gameplay and mechanics
more then anything else, but I also understand I might be a minority, so my
suggestion is as follows: keep the current tooltip, but once the natural source is
infused with the proper aspects and brought into existence through transmutation,
change the tooltip so it shows the source's statistics.
This way, once the player has discovered the source, he doesn't have to memorize
it (or depend on external sources of information which might be inaccurate), but
his curiosity brought by the flavor text will spark a need for exploration, a need
to find new and potentially better natural sources.