Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

Opinion time! New transmutation tooltip

Anything Reus-related that doesn't fit the other forums.

Do you want this tooltip?

Yes!
80%
No, current is fine
20%

Total votes: 45

Wyvern

Re: Opinion time! New transmutation tooltip

Post by Wyvern » Wed May 22, 2013 2:42 am

I'm strongly in favor of this. Even after a dozen or so games I often forget which resource does what, or am trying out a new source path for the first time, and have no idea what will happen when I upgrade a resource. Half of the time my total output goes down, and I need to replace the resource from scratch to fix it and then try to remember what happened for next time. More feedback on the transmutation screen would make it much easier to learn the game without relying on the wiki, which is a big plus.

smithay

Post by smithay » Wed May 22, 2013 3:14 am

I vote yes as it is an improvement. But my preference would be a series of cascading windows that open up as you hover over each upgrade.

http://s18.postimg.org/j7gt0o2sp/reus.png

Kieroshark

Post by Kieroshark » Wed May 22, 2013 5:10 am

smithay wrote:I vote yes as it is an improvement. But my preference would be a series of cascading windows that open up as you hover over each upgrade.

Now THAT would be excellent.

Adriaan

Post by Adriaan » Wed May 22, 2013 8:51 am

@Kobun: I have considered it, but the problem is that it would cost a lot of work. Currently that place there is just a text. We would need to make a new control, to support text with links, to open up menus, to go to the (in-game) wiki page, that has all the info. It would basically mean in-game wiki + more deep UI controls. That's not a bad idea (not at all actually!), but it would cost us 2 months collaboratively. 2 months that could have been spend on new gameplay or content. For that reason, I'm trying to find the best 'cheap' solution. ;)
I do however, want to support in-game tech trees. I find those really lacking and holding back the experience. But that's something for later (after Mac and Linux port), since we miss the programming workforce right now.

@Spyre2k: While that experience is totally valid and commonly shared, you have to understand there are also people who have the biggest fun in transmuting into something new and trying to work with that. They think: "Apple Trees? I wonder what that does/looks like!", then try to transmute into it, and once they have it, find themselves centering their attention on their new toy. They just care a lot less if it's a direct loss or win. I just don't want to unfavor those people. :)

@smithay: Another good idea, but same as Kobun. :P Also, I'm not a big fan of cacading windows. They're really scary for new players, and I think a clean Tech-tree menu (with optional spoiler tooltips) would do the same job better (looking). :)

kobun

Post by kobun » Wed May 22, 2013 12:25 pm

mmm i see,what if you just changed the specialization text to have the reminder then? like instead of

+100% Wealth and Technology Technology of iron, platinum, and silver within 2 range of this Blast Furnace

the text would read

+100% Wealth and Technology Technology of iron (transmutes from salt and copper with lesser seismic aspect) platinum (grows on desert,transmutes from onyx with potent crystal aspect) and silver (transmutes from onyx with potent seismic aspect or from iron with potent crystal aspect) within 2 range of this Blast Furnace

it's somewhat messy and unelegant but that way you'd get the desired effect and you would just have to change a bunch of definition

or you could do it this way,first the whole text of the specialization and then the reminder

+100% Wealth and Technology Technology of iron, platinum, and silver within 2 range of this Blast Furnace

- Iron transmutes from salt and copper with lesser seismic aspect
- Platinum grows on desert,transmutes from onyx with potent crystal aspect
- Silver transmutes from onyx with potent seismic aspect or from iron with potent crystal aspect

DaveMongoose

Post by DaveMongoose » Wed May 22, 2013 1:02 pm

I like the idea, but like others have suggested I would prefer if it was an option you could turn on or off:

I can see the benefit for efficiency when aiming for the really tough developments, but the flavour text is more fun when you're playing semi-casually and experimenting with new transmutations.

Dunam

Post by Dunam » Wed May 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Kieroshark wrote:
smithay wrote:I vote yes as it is an improvement. But my preference would be a series of cascading windows that open up as you hover over each upgrade.

Once you know the game, it looks good.

As a first few playthrough I would feel overwhelmed by the information and probably be prompted to leave much sooner.

Caiobrz

Post by Caiobrz » Wed May 22, 2013 2:16 pm

I would love that implemented, because I lost count of time when the current tooltip was misleading in the way it says, for instance, "gives more food", but once you upgrade, you get LESS food because the symbiosis changed.

I appreciate not wanting to make this a "math board game", but let's face it, it is. Removing tooltips and data from the user so he can "think" (with no tooltip, HOW? open a window with the wiki or something, at best) will only make the game harder for people who did not totally memorize what each plant/animal/mineral does and their symbiotic relations, which is pretty hard considering there are so many combinations!

I can totally relate to new players stop playing because they "don't get it", just because of that. I myself keep the wiki loaded on my tablet so I can check from time to time because I'm not really going to memorize everything, and even if I did, I still have to check the range of the patch to see what the symbiosis will work out if I change (and if the surrounding patches will have their symbiosis changed by the upgrade)

This is not dumbing the game down, is giving the user all the information he needs to make an INFORMED decision. Dumbing the game would be to simplify the process, not to inform the user.

As for being "too much" information, I don't think anyone would leave the game for that. For what, for seeing the game is complex? that there are plenty of options? you get that anyway, better sooner than later. People who like sims/God games are not intimidated by that, but like me, might be annoyed by knowing what you WANT to do, but not knowing HOW because the game doesn't offer you that information.

A good compromise would be to leave simpler tooltips, but a tech-tree graphic with all the developments etc... available as a reference card in game (think Civilization V tech-tree)

AqzSeven

Post by AqzSeven » Wed May 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Dunam wrote:
Kieroshark wrote:

As a first few playthrough I would feel overwhelmed by the information and probably be prompted to leave much sooner.
I second that.

kaibioinfo

Post by kaibioinfo » Wed May 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Dunam wrote:
Kieroshark wrote:

That looks great. Maybe you activate this cascading windows by pressing the right mouse button.