Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

My suggestions and annoyances ;)

Anything Reus-related that doesn't fit the other forums.
VDZ

Re: My suggestions and annoyances ;)

Post by VDZ » Wed May 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Caiobrz wrote:Why keep some upgrades locked? I ask because there is no clear explanation on how to unlock them other than "try a different game style". I know what some of them are (thanks to the wiki), and I would love to actually use them, but I have no clue how to unlock them.

So, my suggestion is: either get rid of upgrade unlocks (I don't see the point), or at least give some tip on what you need to do to unlock it. For instance, since I hate war, I dismantle sacrifice altar or barracks every time ... if I need to complete them to unlock gameplay options, I should know, right?
Check the 'Unlocks' menu. It'll show you all of the objectives you need to unlock certain resources. It's mapped 1:1 to the Steam achievements except for the projects; Steam has an achievement for every project, but completing projects does not unlock anything. (Well, aside from the generic 'have at least X [upgraded] normal/great project(s)' achievements; no specific project requirements.)

War is required for two of the unlocks; one for having 6 war markers on a single village, and another for 12 war markers total.

Rhadamant

Post by Rhadamant » Wed May 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Caiobrz wrote: Also, my opinion on a better antagonist stays: as soon as you know the best predator/danger combinations, greed is not even a problem anymore. Build animal+danger, pump resources, get project done, remove danger. Greed, what greed? =p

Also, to be a fast-click game, it needs to have the math, so I think Reus is leaning towards that too much. If it's an issue (to prevent that), then the detailed tooltips and clear game mechanics are in the way. I think that if a bot can play the game, then it's not a strategy/puzzle game, it's just ... a game =p

No wonder lots of games have become procedural latelly, to add that extra replay value of "not knowing". Just extra 2 cents ;)
To your first quote:
You can still have villages become greedy despite danger and awe. If you fail projects they'll grow in greed, so even if you are carefully balancing greed and awe, villages can still revolt.

To your second quote:
The game still randomly places villages, projects and the specializations of projects so the game isn't all that procedural. The player has to adapt to the desires and whims of his/her villagers, which makes the game random and different every time. In other words, you couldn't just 'macro' the most ideal layout for the perfect world and hit run and expect it to work, the world changes every game you play.

Caiobrz

Post by Caiobrz » Wed May 22, 2013 7:54 pm

VDZ, what I meant was the "sources" unlocks. For instance, I still can't get some trees, the tooltip just tells me to "play differently", I have no idea how.

Rhadamant, I hardly think that placing villages and picking projects randomly makes this a procedural game. You can still code a simple bot to show you what resources to build with the patches/giant levels you have to beat that particular project, that's what I mean (and probably why the tooltip thread exists) by making the game a math/card game. It would be interesting (albeit probably impossible) to have the specifics of the game either hidden (less numbers, more "guessing" based on "estimates"), or to have each game start with a different set of skills and/or symbiosis available, so everytime you play, it's like you don't know the tech-tree at all.

Memorizing the tech-tree and all symbiosis (only the devs and most frequent beta testers achieved that I guess, too soon to normal players to reach that level?) kinds of spoils the game "mystery" ...

Not complaining, just explaining what I meant, game is great as it it.

Rhadamant

Post by Rhadamant » Wed May 22, 2013 8:14 pm

@Caiobrz

I always prefer having math details about games as it allows me to make more informed decisions and play to a higher level. Without additional information, you can't really make informed decisions. The real challenge of designing a UI is to provide as much critical information as possible without flooding the user with so much information that it becomes data. I think Reus strikes a great balance between information and a clear and useful UI.

EatingBurger

Post by EatingBurger » Wed May 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Caiobrz wrote:+Fast-foward (2x?) option
Are we even playing the same game?? I have to make an active effort not to keep the game permanently paused, let alone to let it run at 2x!

blackimperator

Post by blackimperator » Wed May 22, 2013 9:22 pm

Caiobrz wrote:I don't see the need for the ambassador distribution rule, as you need every giant to be more or less upgraded to succeed (in fact, remove that rule and let the player learn he/she should keep the giants up to par by himself! lol).
I actually was thinking about this in my last game : while it would probably unbalance a bit some of the era challenges, i think it would be interesting to be able to try this in freeplay ( i'd like to start by boosting my rock giant and then try some fun fully mineral towns)