Abbey Games has a new community and forums! Come on over to https://community.abbeygames.com and don't forget to mention your old username! The old forums will remain available, but read-only.

A Wild City Growth Mod appears!

Anything Reus-related that doesn't fit the other forums.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
yatima2975
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
A Wild City Growth Mod appears!

Post by yatima2975 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks to Feneris' recent question about modding, I've decided to look into that a bit, and I've accidentally made the first mod :-) It boosts border growth by a factor of ten, so that you can easily get a completely full world with 3 villages within 40 minutes as you can hopefully see in this screenshot (I've positioned the giants where the border flags meet):
222730_screenshots_2013-06-14_00001.jpg
To use the mod, you first need to download the file and unzip it to somewhere where you can find it again.

Then, go to your Reus directory (for me that's under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Reus" - I'm using Win 7 and Steam), and navigate to the Settings/Model directory. Then MAKE A BACKUP of the Civilizations.xnb file (I suggest naming it Civilzations.xnb.original or something like that), copy the replacement file to the directory and rename the replacement to Civilizations.xnb. After that, you can start the game and go crazy :-) If you want to go back, just copy over the backup to Civilizations.xnb.

Some technical details:
I basically followed the steps described here: I wrote the standard Civilization Parameters to an xml file, edited that file and got XNA Game studio to re-export that to xnb again. The most difficult part was getting Visual Studio set up correctly, and the process is still a bit labour-intensive.

So I don't think I'll do requests for mods, but I'm going to work on making the process a bit easier - my current idea is that you are presented with the human-readable xml file that you can then edit and export, nothing too fancy or foolproof but usable if you don't have Visual Studio. How does that sound?
Attachments
Civilizations-WildGrowth.zip
Civilizations.xnb replacement for wild growth
(798Bytes)Downloaded 126 times

Adriaan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A Wild City Growth Mod appears!

Post by Adriaan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:48 pm

When we killed XNA, the files will be open to mod
, but it's still a long way ahead
so you got my support!

(I'm not a rapper)

yatima2975

Re: A Wild City Growth Mod appears!

Post by yatima2975 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:36 am

The "user-experience" I'm aiming for is close to editing some XML files, with a File/Open menu that limits the files you can open and no syntax highlighting, so when XNA is gone it will actually become even easier.

I put in some more work today, and I've got a very, very rough prototype. So I'm looking for some testers soon!

You might be a good test subject (muhahaha) if:
  • You know how to copy files and backup files, and edit XML files. The web. Using a mouse, mices, using mice. Clicking, double clicking, you know, that sort of thing,
  • You know where your copy of Reus is installed (bonus points if it's not under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Reus),
  • You (preferably) do not have XNA Game Studio 4.0 or Visual Studio 2010 Express installed, but are willing to install and de-install those at my whim,
  • You like to suffer repeated disappointments and like to jump through arbitrary hoops,
  • You can write a bug report that contains more information than "It doesn't work",
  • You promise not to abuse your new-found modding skills to get highscores in the weekly challenge,
  • You like playing around with settings that might not even do anything,
  • and finally, You are good at giving constructive criticism.
If you meet (most of) these criteria, reply to this post or send me a PM! I hope to get something that's fit for release together by Sunday.