Extreme sound glitching

purringcat

Re: Extreme sound glitching

Post by purringcat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Under Device Manager in the Control Panel, I noticed that there were 2 Nvidia High Definition Audio drivers included with my Sound Blaster ones. I disabled them and did a hard reboot and my sound was restored. I had downloaded several game files from here, and those drivers must have come along for the ride.

Also downloaded the latest SB drivers. Go to Program Files (86); Creative; Shared Files; Software Update and run AutoUpdateA.
Disclaimer: I know nothing about computers so update at your own risk

Alastor

Post by Alastor » Mon May 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi,

I have the same kind of issues :
Very quickly after I start a game, it starts lagging heavily. The sound is cracking and echoing. It seems to get a bit worse when I zoom out.
If I quit the game rapidly, going back to the menu seems to fix it, but if I play for some time, even that does not fix the issue.
Up until now, the only fix I had was to quit/restart the game, but today, even that did not seem to fix it (which seems very strange indeed ... after all I closed the program ! ).
My audio card does not have audio enhancements and I have desactivated all audio output devices but the one I use. I have also tried updating my audio drivers and windows in general. None of this did make it any better.

Finally, today I tried to change the language from French to English (I had an issue with awe not generating where it should according to the tooltip and wanted to see if it was maybe related to a translation issue in French (I still have no idea why a strawberries and a blueberries bush next to each other don't generate awe where the text says it should, by the way)). I don't know if it is related to the language change or the sound issue, but the framerate and sound went bonkers (heavily !) on the title screen and menu and when I tried to start the game it crashed all together !
Yay !

So here's the crash report, which looks to me like possibly a memory leak ? It would seem to fit the symptoms as well.
Anyway, I hope you can fix these issues because the game's concept seems fun, but in this state, it is unplayable and certainly not fun.
So, as promised, here is the crash report :

Code: Select all

Version: 1.6.5
Thread: Main

System.OutOfMemoryException: Une exception de type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' a été levée.
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.GetByteBuffer(Int32 size)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadByteBuffer(Int32 size)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader.Read(ContentReader input, Texture2D existingInstance)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObject[T]()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadAsset[T]()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
   à SpaceTech.Content.ContentProvider.Load[T](String name)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadExternalReference[T]()
   à SpaceTech.Content.TextureAtlasReader.Read(ContentReader input, TextureAtlas existingInstance)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader[T](ContentTypeReader reader, Object existingInstance)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal[T](Object existingInstance)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[T](String assetName, Action`1 recordDisposableObject)
   à SpaceTech.Content.ReferencedContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
   à Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadContentItem`1.Load()
   à Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadingScreenComponent.LoadNextItem()
   à Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadingScreenComponent.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
   à Reus.LoadingScreen.VisualLoadingScreenComponent.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
   à Reus.Application.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
   à Reus.Program.ActualMain()
   à Reus.Program.Main(String[] args)

0x002c Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.GetByteBuffer
0x0000 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadByteBuffer
0x0039 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader.Read
0x0023 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader
0x0043 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal
0x0000 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObject
0x0007 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadAsset
0x0047 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset
0x0056 SpaceTech.dll->SpaceTech.Content.ContentProvider.Load
0x0028 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadExternalReference
0x0034 SpaceTech2D.dll->SpaceTech.Content.TextureAtlasReader.Read
0x0023 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.InvokeReader
0x0043 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObjectInternal
0x0000 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadObject
0x0007 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadAsset
0x0047 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset
0x0026 SpaceTech.dll->SpaceTech.Content.ReferencedContentManager.Load
0x0012 Reus.exe->Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadContentItem`1.Load
0x0034 Reus.exe->Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadingScreenComponent.LoadNextItem
0x000e Reus.exe->Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadingScreenComponent.Draw
0x0000 Reus.exe->Reus.LoadingScreen.VisualLoadingScreenComponent.Draw
0x004d Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Draw
0x001a Reus.exe->Reus.Application.Draw
0x006a Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame
0x02a9 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick
0x0006 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle
0x0019 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle
0x000b Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame
0x001d Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle
0x0000 System.Windows.Forms.dll->System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle
0x01cf System.Windows.Forms.dll->System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop
0x01e9 System.Windows.Forms.dll->System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner
0x0014 System.Windows.Forms.dll->System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop
0x0011 System.Windows.Forms.dll->System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run
0x0024 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run
0x009c Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame
0x0006 Reus.exe->Reus.Program.ActualMain
0x008a Reus.exe->Reus.Program.Main
Edit :
After double checking the consistency of the files and reinstalling anyway, I tried to launch the game again. This time all was fine on title screen and main menu but the game crashed again while loading the save.
I should add both crashes happened while loading the same save.
Here's the second crash report :

Code: Select all

Version: 1.6.5
Thread: Main

System.OutOfMemoryException: Mémoire insuffisante pour continuer l'exécution du programme.
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Helpers.GetExceptionFromResult(UInt32 result)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsHelpers.GetExceptionFromResult(UInt32 result)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.CreateTexture(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 width, Int32 height, Boolean mipMap, UInt32 usage, _D3DPOOL pool, SurfaceFormat format)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 width, Int32 height, Boolean mipMap, SurfaceFormat format)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader.Read(ContentReader input, Texture2D existingInstance)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadExternalReference[T]()
   à SpaceTech.Content.TextureAtlasReader.Read(ContentReader input, TextureAtlas existingInstance)
   à SpaceTech.Content.ReferencedContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
   à Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadContentItem`1.Load()
   à Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadingScreenComponent.LoadNextItem()
   à Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadingScreenComponent.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
   à Reus.LoadingScreen.VisualLoadingScreenComponent.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
   à Reus.Application.Draw(GameTime gameTime)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
   à Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
   à Reus.Program.ActualMain()
   à Reus.Program.Main(String[] args)

0x0246 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Helpers.GetExceptionFromResult
0x0076 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsHelpers.GetExceptionFromResult
0x0000 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D.CreateTexture
0x0006 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture2D..ctor
0x0035 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.Texture2DReader.Read
0x0028 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.ReadExternalReference
0x0034 SpaceTech2D.dll->SpaceTech.Content.TextureAtlasReader.Read
0x0026 SpaceTech.dll->SpaceTech.Content.ReferencedContentManager.Load
0x0012 Reus.exe->Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadContentItem`1.Load
0x0034 Reus.exe->Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadingScreenComponent.LoadNextItem
0x000e Reus.exe->Reus.LoadingScreen.LoadingScreenComponent.Draw
0x0000 Reus.exe->Reus.LoadingScreen.VisualLoadingScreenComponent.Draw
0x004d Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Draw
0x001a Reus.exe->Reus.Application.Draw
0x006a Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame
0x02a9 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick
0x0006 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle
0x0019 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle
0x000b Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame
0x001d Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle
0x0000 System.Windows.Forms.dll->System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle
0x01cf System.Windows.Forms.dll->System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop
0x01e9 System.Windows.Forms.dll->System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner
0x0014 System.Windows.Forms.dll->System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop
0x0011 System.Windows.Forms.dll->System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run
0x0024 Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run
0x009c Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.dll->Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame
0x0006 Reus.exe->Reus.Program.ActualMain
0x008a Reus.exe->Reus.Program.Main

Alastor

Post by Alastor » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:15 am

Hi,

Anybody here to provide some technical support ?
It's been 3 weeks now since my bug report and crash reports and I still haven't got any feedback nor any hope of seeing any of these issues fixed.

Right now, the game is in an unplayable status and if it's going to stay that way, I'm going to have to ask for a refund. So if anybody is working on trying to fix the game and make it playable again, I would very much like to know.

Rutger

Post by Rutger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:27 am

Hey there Alastor,

Sorry for not responding earlier, must have missed this post! There is something you can try. I'm assuming here that you bought the game on Steam. The main branch of the game uses XNA, which is stable, but old and discontinued by Microsoft. We have a test version on the fna-version branch, which is built using FNA, the open-source XNA replacement. It's actively supported, but performance is lagging slightly behind XNA. You can find more information in this topic on the Steam forums: https://steamcommunity.com/app/222730/d ... 144548051/

Let me know if that works :)

Alastor

Post by Alastor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:04 am

Hi,

Thank you so much for responding and for your help.

So, I tried to install the FNA version.
When trying to launch the save I had, the game crashed again. At this point, I think this might be an unrelated bug due to a corrupt save or something like that, since it crashed on load for both versions. There was a popup message saying "save this message", with the bug report, but the text could not be selected and there was no crash report file generated.
I then tried to launch a new game (an era 30min game).
I had no issues for a few minutes but then, the game crashed again, saying that the access to the autosaves file path was refused. Once again, the crash report couldn't be saved nor copied.
The accesses for said file are full control of the file for the administrator, the system, and myself. So I don't know why the game couldn't access it.
I can't be certain that the sound glitching bug was not present, but it seems to me that it usually appeared quicker than that, so if we can fix these crashing issues, I might be able to try the game for real :D.

Rutger

Post by Rutger » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Hey Alastor,

Hm, odd. Could you maybe try running the game in administrator mode? We can't guarantee complete save game compatibility between the XNA and FNA version of the game, but a new game should work. Let me know! :)

Alastor

Post by Alastor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi,

I tried launching it as an administrator.
I might add that this is not a very practical thing to do, as to do it, you have to run steam as an administrator (otherwise the game complains that steam is not started and doesn't start).

Anyway, it didn't work.
I started a new game as I did last time, and after about the same amount of time, it crashed complaining that the access to the autosave file was refused.

Rutger

Post by Rutger » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 pm

Hey Alastor,

I'm sorry, we're not really sure what could be causing that :( If any other people run into this issue, please let us know: hopefully we can find out a common cause here.